May 23, 2012

No Surprises

Flash Fiction Blogfest by Cherie Reich
Lightning Flashed.




Lightning flashed.  As though vicious devils were being expelled from the crevices of the heavens above.  Scattered energies colliding within a brewing storm, the darkness eclipsing the nervous waters wavering below. Yet this tense scene on the verge of destruction seemed to hold such tranquillity in contrast to the turmoil that raged within my own clouded thoughts.  Desperation cried out as the hysteria pulsed through me like a debilitating poison, there were no options, there was no escape, and my mind whirled endlessly as I sought cover from the hauntingly real consequences trailing after me.

The sky was shattered once more with the booming roar of natures disquiet, echoing against my chest to jolt my racing heart.  The sudden second of illumination hit the shadowed beach like an accusing strobe, exposing the rich colour that stained my hands.  Even the elements looked upon me with disgust.  There were no traces left behind bar the beast like savagery that had dismantled the poor soul.  Their blood was mine to wear, it will not fade.  I will bear the guilt and shame of first blood for a lifetime as it dries upon my flesh like a cursed mark.

The moon cycle had mocked my innocence and thrown me into infamy, forcing a change upon my proud life as it did my form.  Now the night shared my anguish where I collapsed on the shoreline, releasing its deluge to veil the isolated cove.  The demons ignited an uproar of cataclysmic proportions that scorched the earth while the potent bellowing response subdued my disgrace and consciousness as I lay humbled.


the beast awakens,


17 comments:

  1. Wonderfully abstract. You can almost taste the guilt! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can really feel the weight on her shoulders. Nice imagery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had originally written it as a male character but now you have my mind contemplating other possibilities... :)

      Delete
  3. Wow! An amazing piece. It had this rapidness to it, despite the long sentences.

    I'll announce the finalists Friday. Thank you for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great flash piece! Incredibly poetic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very deep, I loved the poetic language.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool piece. I could feel the anguish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly felt as though I was reading the opening of an epic poem. Every line carried the weight of the narrator's guilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a tortured soul...and the last line was perfect. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on becoming a finalist!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats, love the part with first blood it makes the story more tragic knowing the guilt it caused. Not just a scary story but one with human emotions...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on being in the finals!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your story captured my attention most due to its elegant diction and your ethereal writing style. I'm looking forward to reading more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on being a finalist!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...